Levi’s and Rock & Roll have always gone hand in hand, but Matchboxology’s video ethnography uncovered opportunity in the eclectic and exploding South African music industry.
We heard musicians and artists explain how they felt exploited by the one-way relationship of sponsorship; so we proposed Levi’s Original Music make the brand a vital part of each band’s community.
For four years, our bespoke national concert series of Vintage Sundays (intimate acoustic gigs in small clubs) was the go to opportunity for high profile and emerging artists to share new music with fans.
Young Guns became the innovative and distinctive concert platform for emerging bands. This was a unique way of sharing a global brand’s stature and contributing to the accelerated rise of emerging voices and musicians under the banner: Disruption of the Status Quo.
We led Levi’s in fielding marketing workshops and bespoke “contributions” for upcoming local bands –and helped the brand launch seasonal music series fanzines and an independent digital music blog platform (the precursor to Mahala.co.za). Bands and fans proudly supported Levi’s because the brand was an active part of their community.
The Matchboxology strategy of Inspiration versus sponsorship led to deeper conversations, relationships and activations with bands and their fans.
Year on year triple digit turnover increase: 2005-2009
Double Digit profit growth: 2005-2009.
Business Arts South Africa Best Music Sponsorship Award 2008
Marketing Association of South Africa Gold: Sponsorship
LS&CO Chairman’s Innovation Award 2008
What the client saw:
- The ideal amplification of brand by music
- Wildly Efficient Communications Strategies & Design
- South African Gold Marketing Awards
- Measurable Brand Health Growth
- 2008 Chairman’s Innovation Award from Global Parent
What Matchboxology saw:
- Unique ability for iconic brand to inspire South African music industry growth
- Mutually beneficial brand relationship with the ultimate South African youth influentials
- Significant ability to deliver spend amplification
- A strategic and creative innovation opportunity